JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I just wanted to open a thread for members to show off their ruck sack or backpack set up. I recently have been working on putting together a simple cheap pack for myself, and thought I would start it off. So here it is.....

I started with buying a large Alice pack with frame, kidney belt and shoulder straps from my local surplus store.

I then ordered the radio shelf attachment that can be used with Alice pack frames off of EBay for $3.00. It basically gives you a shelf on the bottom pack side of your frame, for helping to hold heavy loads, and it comes off and on easily as you need it.

I then cannibalized an old Vietnam era Army Combat load bearing vest I had lying around, basically stripping everything off it to use on my pack.

Next I took two white water rafting dry sacks I had lying around (usually use these as pack liners) and put my gear in those. The bigger bottom one has my VersaShelter kit I built from videos off YouTube and the creators website. <broken link removed> I added an Army poncho liner to my versa shelter.

The smaller bag has my other gear, like my Katadyn Hiker water filter, fire starting gear, whetstone, knives, etc..

After attaching the load bearing shelf on the bottom (not necessary), I used straps from the combat vest I cannibalized to attach the larger bag to the bottom. Then used other strapping to attach the smaller bag above that.

Then, I took a molle SAW mag pouch that has a survival kit inside, and a molle canteen pouch, canteen and canteen cup, and strapped those to the very top of the pack for easy over-the-shoulder access while the pack is on.

Finally I took a surplus camo pack cover I purchased recently from the surplus store and stretched that over the pack.

This is the final result....

The end result is a comfortable, user friendly, very versatile pack that suits all my needs. Its also 100&#37; water proof, so I could theoretically jump into water and have all my gear stay dry, or use it as a flotation device! Also, if I need to, I can strip the pack down to the frame and straps and have a pack frame I can use to haul big game quarters out of the woods back to camp. Or a multitude of other uses.

Please let me know what you think, ideas on improvement would be greatly appreciated, as I am still working on perfecting this pack.

Also, if you have a cool pack that you use, please tell me about it and post pics! Thanks!

Not really cool or interesting, but I have one of the Cabela's Rifle Packs. The XL is big enough that I can fit enough gear in it to stay out for a couple nights, provided I don't take to many clothes. The fabric is waterproof, so my gear stays dry, and I can strap a tent underneath it. I pretty much only use it when I'm hunting, but have camped with it a few times. The only problems are that it's too big for day hunts, and too small to pack meat. I usually take extra equipment for packing out meat.

The only problems are that it's too big for day hunts, and too small to pack meat. I usually take extra equipment for packing out meat.

I hear ya bwells, thats what prompted me to want to make my own to fit all my needs. I can pretty much set that Alice pack frame up for any length of stay outdoors, and always have the frame with shoulder straps to use for packing out meat. It seems like it will end up working for everything I need.

I have a big expensive North Face backpack, and a smaller CamelBack Hawg, but it seems like neither ever completely suit my needs.

I usually just assume that whatever regular gear I'm carrying will be one trip back to the truck. Once I'm back at the truck I can swap out packs (I've got an old wooden pack frame that I can strap meat to) or get my other equipment. I figure packing meat is going to be separate trips, depending on the terrain. I always carry a tarp and nylon rope, and I have used them to drag deer in relatively open and flat terrain. When I'm hunting I don't like to carry too big of a pack, but it would be nice to be able to pack meat without making a trip back to the truck first.

ALICE packs are comfortable with little to no weight in them (<60 lbs). If you end up packing more than that then I'd suggest getting the sissy pads for the shoulder straps. When I had them on my ruck in the army I could carry an entire 50 cal M2 (2 barrels, tripod, weapons, and T&E) in it and be comfortable. I just needed help getting on my feet.

Thanks Coctailer! It's a work in progress, I still want to rivet on a few extra strap guides on the frame, and a couple other things here and there.

As far a comfort goes, I was surprised at how comfortable they really are. I havent weighed the pack loaded yet, but Im guessing it's between 30-35 lbs right now, with the heaviest item being on the bottom (the VersaShelter kit). I havent field tested it yet, but just walking around my place with it on, it's just as comfy as my North Face. I think it's gonna work out great.

ALICE packs are comfortable with little to no weight in them (<60 lbs). If you end up packing more than that then I'd suggest getting the sissy pads for the shoulder straps. When I had them on my ruck in the army I could carry an entire 50 cal M2 (2 barrels, tripod, weapons, and T&E) in it and be comfortable. I just needed help getting on my feet.

Ive tried packing a 60+ lb pack before, and unless you are in great shape, or are a glutton for punishment, 40-45 lbs is a good maximum load. Really, anything more than that is just comfort items, probably not necessary. Just my opinion!

I wont ever likely carry more than 45 lbs with this pack unless it's meat, but I know if I needed to that the Alice frame can hold many more times that!

...a simple little survival bag I keep in my trunk. Nothing too special and definitely not fancy. :)

Sbag.jpg

As I said, this is a work in progress.......

I added a few more strap guides to the frame.....

Here is the set up for packing meat.......

Heres the bottom bag strapped on.....

And heres the Molle 2 main pack I found at SGT Gators the other day strapped above that. (Still trying to perfect attaching the Molle pack to the Alice frame....)

Has anybody here ever tried attaching a Molle 2 main pack to an Alice frame? Any tips on it?

I know this is an odd-ball question, but it's worth asking for me. I got an old crappy meduim Alice pack from SGT Gators and cut the back side of the pack off where it slips onto the frame. My intention is to attach that to the Molle pack, but I'm not sure if thats the best way to do it..

I found this great site for this kind of stuff, but havent found an answer to this question as of yet.....http://www.diytactical.com/forums/index.php

I have an "EBERLESTOCK" pack that has a gun scabbard built in. Very comfortable with heavy loads. Its a hunting pack, but this company makes military packs also. Plenty of room for all of the necessities and some room for frivilous things too. Bomb proof and quiet. Very well made packs. Fits over a TAC VEST. Try one and you'll be hooked like i am. Also just a throw in----i have an "ORIGAMI 2" SHELTER that weighe under 2 lbs and covers 57 square feet of space. For the weight and size its the best tent i have ever owned, and folds up to nothing.

It seems as though every pack Ive ever had just has something missing. I cant really put my finger on exactly what, I guess maybe I just havent found a pack that suits me yet. So I figured, heck Ive got the surplus store right down the street and they have lots of gear, maybe I can just build myself something inexpensive that suits me. Still have some work to do on it, but Im happy with it so far.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top