JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well with the success of the clean up at Beaver Dam Quarry at Brown's Camp, the Tillamook State Forest Service has proposed to our members to adopt the rock pit for future clean ups. It would be like the adopt-a-highway program but for a popular outdoor shooting area. A sign would be placed at the site stating NWFA has adopted the pit if in return a group of our members agree to have an organized cleanup 3-4 times a year. This would help insure the site stays open to recreational shooting as the forest service has struggled in the past with funding and staff to keep the area cleaned up of debris left by careless shooters who use the area. I learned that up untill four years ago that inmates from a local prison camp had done the cleanups but after an assesment of the site it was determined that there were too many hazards (contraband picked up by the prisoners) to continue the practice. So it has been left up to us as shooters to make the choice to make a difference here and put our name in a good light despite a few's sloppy practices.

I am putting this post up in search for feedback from the rest of you and to see how many would be interested in being involved with this. I was given the necesarry forms to make this happen but I can't do it alone. I'm willing to organize or coordinate things with TSFS but a list of names of volunteers on paper would be required. Seeing the turnout and the end results of the informal clean up last Saturday, I think this should not be a problem. So who's in to make this official and will be there when the time comes? Even if you can't come help, maybe we could set up a donation fund of sorts to cover costs of dump fees, or use of trucks/trailers? Any other ideas or input to carry on with this is welcome.

P.S. Another perk that was mentioned when talking with Stepanie Beal from TSFS was that we would be given first dibbs on a group campsite if we wanted use of it on the dates of our clean ups. Maybe have a camp,shoot and clean? I even heard mention of firewood provided as well but don't quote me on that part.

You have my support 100%. This is exactly the type of community involvement I had in mind when I started this site, and really what will set this community apart from being just another 'online forum'. I realize most of us shooters clean up after ourselves, but this is a chance to go above and beyond personal responsibility while shining a positive light on the gun ownership we so dearly treasure.

I would prefer to do it three times per year. This would allow us to sponsor other ranges and also be more convenient for those who want to attend each cleanup but don't have the time or resources (such as gas) to get out to every cleanup. I believe in one of the PM's I read something about the Forestry Service covering the cost of disposal and/or letting us use their dumpsters. Is this true or do we need to dispose of the waste ourselves? If possible we need to negotiate this into the deal.

I think the camp, shoot, & clean idea is excellent! I see that as a valuable perk :)

Yup they did provide us with SOLV trash bags and let us use the dumpster in the camp ground. The problem was that the campground is about a mile from the pit so we still need a way to get it there. The dumpster filled up quickly. I think Gunnails left and headed home with half a trailer load because there was no more room in the dumpster. He also suggested we sort out the recycleables because we can dispose of them for free. Being the first time out we didn't have all our ducks in a row on that but we tried to get the big metal scrap sorted. Thanks by the way Gunnails for bringing the trailer. It sure was a big help!:s0155:

I just thought if we could pitch in a little to help out the guy hauling out the remainders, it would bring him back the next go around.

I even heard mention of firewood provided as well but don't quote me on that part.

Would that be the firewood from the trees that the morons cut down with their rifle bullets?

Sounds like a great opportunity for people to start making a difference. So will OregonBrassLLC and members step up and do the same for places like Wildcat, Memaloose, Molalla/Sawtell?

Sounds like a great opportunity for people to start making a difference. So will OregonBrassLLC and members step up and do the same for places like Wildcat, Memaloose, Molalla/Sawtell?

NWFA would like to be involved and/or organize in these as well.

Yup they did provide us with SOLV trash bags and let us use the dumpster in the camp ground. The problem was that the campground is about a mile from the pit so we still need a way to get it there. The dumpster filled up quickly. I think Gunnails left and headed home with half a trailer load because there was no more room in the dumpster. He also suggested we sort out the recycleables because we can dispose of them for free. Being the first time out we didn't have all our ducks in a row on that but we tried to get the big metal scrap sorted. Thanks by the way Gunnails for bringing the trailer. It sure was a big help!:s0155:

I just thought if we could pitch in a little to help out the guy hauling out the remainders, it would bring him back the next go around.

==============================================

I was pleased to be a part of the effort.

We did fill the dumpster at Browns camp, what we took back we were able to recycle. at the Hillsboro Recycling Center, roughly 300 pounds of metal and plastic. (thanks Muddman).

It was dirty, grimy, easy, rewarding, beautiful day.

Absolutely, We are talking with the Forest Service right now about that. However the Forest Service is different then the Forestry Service. (Forest Service = Federal, Forestry Service = state)

there is a lot more to it to adopt anything federal. We are still trying hard. We are looking at having an all day clean up of the Memaloose ranges on the 26th (the day before the full auto shoot) This will involve having law enforcement close the ranges while we are there. If members of this group are interested in attending that, we can make it a joint venture NWFA / OB.

I think anytime shooters present themselves in a positive light to non-shooters it is a great opportunity to change the minds and opinions of shooters for the better.

If I can get the arrangements made for dumping, and we are trying to have a crew from the Job Corps up there help to. Then i will start another thread for a clean up.

with a little time, and if this group is interested in helping clean up the ranges / sponsor them then i am sure we can work something out with the Forest Service.

Off topic...but my wife go to a place up off Hwy 26 (won't say exactly where but after the last trip in Aug. the wife decided that she wanted to clean the place up....shotgun shells, keyboards, cell phones, beer bottle/cans, etc...

Well we went up there this last weekend after breakfast at Camp 18. When we got done shoot, we cleaned up the place. Ended up pulling out 7 LARGE garbage bags, each weighting in around 60 lbs. Know the next time I go up there it will be a mess, but at least it looked nicer than when we arrived.

Ok i've gotcha Frog and Ajf1. I'll put you guys down. I also should mention that I emailed Stephanie Beal and asked her to modify the adoption agreement to require them, TSFS, at minimum to post a sign that the range will be closed to shooting during the scheduled clean up times. That way we won't have the same complications and have a leg to stand on when others show up to use the range. We kinda got left hanging on that one this last time. It wouldn't bother me any to have the deputies stop in from time to time to check on things as well. Anyone else in? Other ideas?

Off topic...but my wife go to a place up off Hwy 26 (won't say exactly where but after the last trip in Aug. the wife decided that she wanted to clean the place up....shotgun shells, keyboards, cell phones, beer bottle/cans, etc...

Well we went up there this last weekend after breakfast at Camp 18. When we got done shoot, we cleaned up the place. Ended up pulling out 7 LARGE garbage bags, each weighting in around 60 lbs. Know the next time I go up there it will be a mess, but at least it looked nicer than when we arrived.

I'm pretty sure I know that spot.
Thanks, Good work!:s0155:
It will and has made a difference.

Cool. I count six of us so far. I'm waiting to hear back from Stephanie with the forestry service to get things going. I'm thinking we give it another couple months or so before our next clean. Should we spread out our 3-4 events over the whole year? I'm not sure how weather will effect things during the winter but I'm thinking we should have one in spring, summer, and fall. Sound good?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top