JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a different thread we are having a lot of discussion on open carrying and Peoples views on it... So I figured i would see when and were people thought were ok places to OC... At the lake/river... Park... Walks.... etc... This thread isnt meant to Bash Peoples views on OC, its just to see where they choose to Open carry if they do... :s0155:

I don't usually, but I am more than happy to open carry any time I'm not going into someone's house or business. :)

Forests, Rivers, Parks (We love swings!), walks. I usually open carry when I'm working on my truck out front.

While backpacking, we even open carry M4's. :)

I think this is a good thread.

My answers only pertain to me, I am not dictating behavior for other people here...

I would/have openly carried a rifle or revolver at the following times:

-On a 5 day horseback trip in the Jefferson Wilderness. I had my 30-30 (shoulda kept it!) in a saddle scabbard, and my wife carried a Ruger Blackhawk on her saddle like a dragoon.

-When shooting with friends in the woods or desert.

-When out calling coyotes or other critters (never know who'll come to see me).

-While camping in a very remote area.

-If I were shooting in a pistol event that required a holster.

-If I still had animals, and woke up to a ruckus in the barn or on the back of the property, and expected to find a predator or prowler.

I should add that if I felt it necessary for the preservation of my life or those I am responsible for, I would carry openly or otherwise without hesitation.

I don't open carry in town but I see nothing wrong with it what so ever. It doesn't scare me to see somebody open carrying and can't figure out for the life of me why somebody would be afraid. I further more do not think the person open carrying is showing off or overly paranoid. Police open carry all the time, does it scare you? As somebody stated in the other thread. Bad guys don't open carry because they can't afford to draw any attention to themselves especially with their illegally purchased 380. Again why on earth people would be bothered by somebody open carrying is beyond me.

If it counts I often CC badly enough I might as well be open carrying in town. You'd have to be stupid to not know what that huge bulge of a high cap 1911 is under my T-shirt. Doesn't bother me at all either.

Same. Now that it's summer, I do very little to try and conceal my weapon.

I'm in shorts and a T-Shirt. I'll put my shirt over my gun, and if I feel the situation calls for it, slightly adjust the weapon position. But generally, I don't care. A knowledgeable eye would be able to recognize the 1911 grip print in my shirt. Oh well. :)

If it counts I often CC badly enough I might as well be open carrying in town. You'd have to be stupid to not know what that huge bulge of a high cap 1911 is under my T-shirt. Doesn't bother me at all either.

LOL! I was carrying my SP101 yesterday just wearing a T-shirt and I looked like I had a tumor at 4 O'clock, but no one noticed, or if they did, didn't say anything.

I don't consider open carry an appropriate action in heavily populated areas. In this I include city parks (rural parks not included), markets (both outdoor and grocery stores), malls, city streets, etc. Generally, I think open carry just calls too much attention to myself. Even though I am not a criminal with an illegally purchased .380, it doesn't mean I want to be conspicuous. As for the argument of police open carrying, it is not valid when used to compare to a citizen open carrying. Yes, in most cases, we also have that right. However, when an officer in uniform walks down the street, we are immune to the shock of seeing a gun on his hip. Its common place, much like open carry amongst the citizenry was common place in the old west. Its no longer commonplace to seen a plain clothes citizen open carrying (and indeed when I do, I am usually looking for a badge hanging from their belt or neck), and while I fully support a person's right to carry/own a gun, I think it prudent that they at least make an effort to conceal it. The t-shirt over a bulge is at least an effort. It is unlikely that someone other than an acquaintance or a LEO is going to question it. People would rather be blissfully unaware of their surroundings (see sheep vs. shepherd).

The only times I open carry are generally in the woods or at appropriate social events. In the woods, whether I'm hiking, hunting, or shooting, people are more apt to overlook the pistol on my hip and not over-react (although I have had some people yell at me for carrying on a public trail on the Willamette N.F.). If you want to open carry, get together a large group of friends for a BBQ, strap on your finest leather and your prettiest gun (everyone needs a BBQ gun) and everyone can show off.

But this is just me. I'm not in charge of other people. If they choose to open carry, then they should be prepared for the reactions to come including, but not limited to, inquiries by the police, often initiated by a "concerned citizen", being asked to leave an establishment, being confronted (some people are dumb enough to confront an armed person), or having people stare at and then avoid you. To me these hassles are not worth it when I can at least try to conceal my carry piece. For what its worth, its an IWB holster, the gun varies, with a cover garment over the top. Every once in a while, the cover garmet rides up and I either print or the grip shows.

Hope this helps, I'm afraid its a bit more answer than you were looking for.

What are the laws concerning Open Carry in Oregon? I had thought it was only OK in public lands (i.e. hiking/backpacking).

It's kinda complicated. If you do some searches on this site, you can find the relevant guidelines. The quick-and-dirty is that OC is permitted throughout Oregon, except where local governments have validly prohibitted it or in the usual problematic places like courts and jails. Your OC right is enhanced if you have a CHL, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I'm not sure about the laws in OR, but I imagine they are similar to those here in Washington. The thing that you need to be careful about is that although you have the right to openly carry, there are ordinances and laws against intimidation with a weapon. For example, if you walk down the sidewalk in Seattle carrying a weapon, you can be arrested if someone feels threatened by your presence. I think it is a silly law, but it is something you should be weary about.

In general, I would tend to agree with most of the individuals who have posted so far. It is much better to conceal whenever possible as not to draw unwanted attention to yourself. I think that, at least here in the northwest, people are much more likely to be persuaded that the 2nd Amendment supporters are reasonable if we don't walk around town like Clint Eastwood ready to draw whenever someone we don't like gives us a funny look. I'd like to end the stereotypes and help draw positive attention to the 2nd Amendment and I think that concealed carry enables that.

i carry when in the woods because i am one who knows that we are not the top of the food chain, without a firearm
Well that's true for sure. Just one of the reasons I carry at home. there was a bear on my property Sunday at sunset. I was carrying of course and I chased it off but I wasn't carrying heavy. I had the PT145 only, loaded hot though 230gr JHP +P arguably not enough for a bear out of a short barreled 45, but I do not think he/she would have liked it should I have had to fire on it. The Black bear as usual wasn't looking for any trouble though so obviously no shots were fired. :s0155:

Well that's true for sure. Just one of the reasons I carry at home. there was a bear on my property Sunday at sunset. I was carrying of course and I chased it off but I wasn't carrying heavy. I had the PT145 only, loaded hot though 230gr JHP +P arguably not enough for a bear out of a short barreled 45, but I do not think he/she would have liked it should I have had to fire on it. The Black bear as usual wasn't looking for any trouble though so obviously no shots were fired. :s0155:

State police: Why did you shoot the bear?

NK777: He was reaching......... You never heard of armed bears? :D

With all due respect to each of you!

There is no such thing as an "appropriate" time to OC. If its lawful it is appropriate. Opinions like MountainBear's are just what the doctor ordered for gun control advocates (again MB this is not an attack). As we continue to buckle to political correctness, we are choosing to NOT exercise our god given right(s). We actually aide in the erosion of those rights. Community organizers and gun control activists are more than willing to see all of us walk away from our freedoms without as much as a whimper. They swallow up yet another small freedom on their way to total gun confiscation.

We must not ignore these issues nor should we "avoid" the hassle of the OC question. This is a perfect example of the "slippery slope" that many people deny exists.

I will admit to not Open Carrying often but I now see the error of my ways. I will attempt to OC regularly just for the sake of the right.

Respectfully,

T_H

:s0013:

a friend and i have discussed "exercising our rights" in Portland, basically as an experiment. we just want to see how long it'll take to get arrested. problem is, i dont really care to get arrested, nor do i want to be without my weapon for 3 months.

it would be interesting to see what would happen, though. i think if you did it with a large enough crowd you'd probably avoid arrest. its really easy to Disorderly Conduct or Menacing one or two people- its a lot harder and hairier with a group of 5 - 10

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top