JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Obama's been in office for over 6 months now -- 1/8 of his term. Has his administration taken any action specifically designed to restrict gun rights? Any proposals for gun, ammo, or accessory bans?

Seems to be a lot of hysteria about that, but I wonder if there's any foundation for it.

Reminds me of the story about a guy who goes to the police and says, "I want to file a complaint against my neighbor for stealing my car." The police captain says, "Your neighbor stole your car?" And the guy says, "No, but I can tell by the look in his eye that he's thinking about it."

As we speak jack booted ATF agents are going through sales records of federally licensed firearms dealers trying to make a link to illegal sales of guns over the US/Mexico border. They are harrassing US citizens based on their purchases of firearms with no indication of criminal activity.

You can't pee on us and tell us it's raining.

Have you been in a coma for the last 6 months?????? There has been legislation pruposed, but not passed.

By Obama? Do you have a cite to the proposal?

The highest court in the land, Judge Sotomayor. Do you research.

Did that and reported it on this forum. Have you done yours? Have you read her opinions? I have. They don't support the hysteria. She's a very liberal judge whose Second Amendment rulings followed existing Second Circuit precedent and were consistent with tons of similar ruling by very conservative Reagan and Bush appointees. What do you expect given the pasting that the R's took in 2008? Obama was going to appoint Wayne LaPierre to the Supreme Court?

As we speak jack booted ATF agents are going through sales records of federally licensed firearms dealers trying to make a link to illegal sales of guns over the US/Mexico border.

You are aware, of course, that this was a Bush Administration policy that Obama has not pulled the plug on, right? I mean, that this was not an Obama initiative?

Continuing something that someone else started makes one equally culpable for the damage. Only a child would use the "well he started it" line to attempt to deflect responsibility.

By Obama? Do you have a cite to the proposal?

Did that and reported it on this forum. Have you done yours? Have you read her opinions? I have. They don't support the hysteria. She's a very liberal judge whose Second Amendment rulings followed existing Second Circuit precedent and were consistent with tons of similar ruling by very conservative Reagan and Bush appointees. What do you expect given the pasting that the R's took in 2008? Obama was going to appoint Wayne LaPierre to the Supreme Court?

You are aware, of course, that this was a Bush Administration policy that Obama has not pulled the plug on, right? I mean, that this was not an Obama initiative?

The current administrations party has learned over the years, that if you want to cut the head off the snake, you start at the tail and work your way up.

The anti gun legislation starts from the grass roots and is supported by government that turns a blind eye to your civil liberties.

The current administrations party has learned over the years, that if you want to cut the head off the snake, you start at the tail and work your way up.

The anti gun legislation starts from the grass roots and is supported by government that turns a blind eye to your civil liberties.

Any specific Obama initiatives you are referencing?

Seems to be a lot of hysteria about that, but I wonder if there's any foundation for it.

I would refer you to his comments and actual voting record on gun laws in Illinois. If you're not aware, Illinois, Cook County and Chicago (which Obama saved by organizing before he went to Washington) have some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. I'll let you look up the murder numbers in Obama's State Legislature district, even after he saved that community. But here's a head start: there were six (count 'em) handgun murders in Chicago in each of two recent weekends. So his policies must work.

Can we infer from his "work" in the Illinois legislature what might be in store for the rest of the country? Or does his track record not matter?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/17/politics/main2369157.shtml

<broken link removed>

Recovery Act Information

The Southwest Border Initiative - ATF's Project Gunrunner - $10 million
The Administration’s southwest border initiative will reduce cross border drug and weapons trafficking, and the associated high level of violence occurring on the border between the U.S. and Mexico. The primary role of ATF’s Project Gunrunner in support of this initiative is to stem the illegal trafficking of firearms across the border and to reduce the firearms violence occurring on both sides of the border.

$10 million in ARRA funding is hiring 37 ATF employees to open, staff (via new hire and relocation of senior personnel,) equip, and operate new Project Gunrunner criminal enforcement teams in McAllen, TX; El Centro, CA; and Las Cruces, NM (which includes a subordinate satellite office in Roswell, NM.). Additionally, these funds support the assignment of two special agents to each of the U.S. consulates in Juarez and Tijuana, Mexico to provide direct support to Mexican officials on firearms-trafficking-related issues.

By curtailing the availability of firearms to the Mexican drug cartels, ATF will diminish their ability to export drugs to the U.S. In addition, by removing the guns from the cartel’s lethal resources, ATF will directly affect their ability to operate and concurrently suppress the firearms - related violence that occurs on both sides of the southwest border.

So far all you guys are providing are cites to STATE, LOCAL and (incredibly) local CANADIAN proposals to restrict gun rights. You've cited no Obama initiatives.

You've cited Obama's previous record suggesting he might propose gun restrictions sometime in the future, plus one Recovery Act statute that funds a Bush Adminstration effort to track Mexican gun violence weapons to US sources. But none of that is Obama. Even the Recovery Act stuff was just to get the border state Republicans to swallow a bill they didn't want to support. Are you aware that that's a Republican initiative that the Obama adminstration agreed to only as a sop to Republicans?

My original question was this: Given all the hysteria about how Obama's election was going to mean the end of private gun ownership, what has the OBAMA ADMINISTRATION done to propose a curtailment of YOUR gun rights?

Maybe he will. And maybe some hope he will to justify an anti-Obama hysteria that has other origins.

I'm still waiting.

The Democrats and their anti-gun agenda, are real.

When references are requested, one only has to look as far as what the pro gun lobby is and has done.

The federal parks expansion act, one of Obama's first signed bills set up millions of new acres for no firearms. It took a challenge to get it's reversal and / or clarification.

The bills that have been following into states and congress that have wanted to use laser id, tags, etc, not alone a Federal re-registry for ALL gun, and the sales or transfer between relatives. O M G..

The fear may not be paramount, but the continual threat is real and We as gun owners, must help whenever we can..

Writing,believing, and using "NO Harm, no foul.." is flawed, reckless, and certainly not from a true PRO-gun, 2nd Amendment believer.

God's Bless all, and these UNITED STATES, this 4th of July Weekend. Special Thanks for all of Armed forces, past and present.

Obama and guns is a Oxy moron.............Everyone does notice that a Corvallis resident started this thread right.......nuff said.

CEF1959, Dude, the President never creates legislation; he only signs it or veto's it. If the President wanted a certain law to be enacted, he would get his party legislators to create a bill. You need to go back to social studies in grade school.

Have you been in a coma for the last 6 months

You need to go back to social studies in grade school.

Everyone does notice that a Corvallis resident started this thread right.......nuff said.

Now now, let's keep this above the belt. No need for personal insults. I was just asking this question: Has the Obama administration proposed any intitiatives to restrict your gun rights?

So far, I'm still waiting. Anyone want to weigh in with real examples? I don't find "Obama and guns is a Oxy moron" or long-held grievances about the Democratic Party particularly helpful in that regard.

The one thing I can think of is when Eric Holder suggest on the news that they would like to renstate the assault weapons ban. Which caused such an uproar that he backed away from it a few days later.

Has the Obama administration proposed any intitiatives to restrict your gun rights?

Definitely, and from the walrus' own mouth.

Just after his very chummy visit with Mexico's president Calder&#243;n, he was off to the Organisation of American States conference down in Trinidad and Tobago. AFTER making much fuss about the known-to-be-false "ninety percent of the drug guns in Mexico have come from gun stores in the US" nonsense, he goes on to declare he will week our Senate's ratification of a very onerous, far reaching, and devastating gun control treaty which will do TWO THINGS:

First, it will place ALL AMERICANS not under US sovereignty, but under the sovereign control of an international body, to be created for the express purpose of controlling and regulating firearms in the signatory nations. Specific aspects of this control include a natioinal gun registry, permanent records of ALL firearms transfers, ammunition to be coded, ANY sort of "assembly" of any sort of firearm to be restricted to licensed firearms people.. which could go so far as to make it a federal/international felony to disassemble, clean, and REASSEMBLE your own weapon. ALL "assault type" weapons banned, all magazines of greater than ten round capacity banned, (and retroactively banned, not just "no new purchases", as in the previous "assault weapon ban"), limits on the number of guns purchased in a given period of time, and also limits on ammunition purchases.

Nazi Pelosi is right behind him, and Mrs. Clinton seemed to think it all a jolly good idea as well. Barbara the Boxer has been calling for many of these same restrictions for so long its' gotten to be a dull background roar.

If THIS doesn't fit the description of "Obama restricting guns", I'd be amused and amazed to learn what might....

Also, remember his long and steady stream of campaign speeches and declarations promising to tighten restrictions on firearms in the hands of American citizens. He is also on record as saying, in response to some of the Democrat lawmakers commenting on pushing for gun restrictions, that "now isn't the time, we'll have to wait". This response came very shortly after he had been informed of the FBI's numbers of background checks...... and that they had increased by close to four hundred percent between election week and that tiem, which I believe was late March, with no sign of slowing down.

THIS is, to me at any rate, a clear indication he has not forgot his campaign promises to the gun haters, but realises that, with a four hundred percent increase in firearms acquisitiions (that are RECORDED, no clue as to those changing provately) SINCE HIS ELECTION, he's astute enough to be aware he'd face some serious blowback if he pushed that now.

Also observe: how handily he pushed the energy cap, tax, and trade bill through the House of Representatives. He's got a whole fleet of puppies eating out of his hand. He says "roll over", and backs hit the floor. His sidekick Nazi Pelosi pushed that bill so hard it broke all the rules... and trust me, NO ONE had or took the time to read an eleven hundred page bill between Wednesday night late and Friday afternoon when they "voted" it through. OK, so that's energy you say. Yes, and the bill is stupid, dangerous, greedy, and wrong. Yet he pushed it through in record time. I doubt more than a very small handfull have even now read it. If he puts together a gun bill, foists it off on the House, and they treat it the same way, it too will surely find itself passed onto BHO's desk in record time... hardly anyone having had time to read it, let alone the inclination. Hundreds of thousands of faxes, emails, phone calls swamped the House chambers in opposition to that "energy" bill..... and yet, in the face of such incredible strong opposition, they passed it. Change "energy bill" for "gun ban bill", and watch the same thing happen. The legislature, both houses, have proven the lawmakers know on which side their bread is buttered.... and it is passing anything their Boss wants them to. You'd think he was COmmander in Chief of the legislature, not the Armed Forces.

THESE sorts of things make me certain he will try, again and again, until either successful or he learns the backlash is SO certain and SO severe he daren't have another go at it. No question the desire is there...... and given the right opportunity he'll unleash his forces and carry it.

He reminds me of my friend with his cat...... and a really cool parakeet. Birdie would have the fly of the house, and did..... cat wat and watched, obviously hungry. No opportunity, so he kept waiting. Finally, after four or five months of vigilance, he saw his chance. Birdie didn't even have time to say "I t'ot I t'aw a puddy tat". Cat won, by being patient and vigilant. This man, now living on Pennsylvania Avenue in the OTHER Washington, is just like that bird..... patient, and knows what he wants. All WE need to do to hand it him is not be vigilant, not be proactive. A little slumber, a little folding of the hands...... and scarcity is upon us.

The one thing I can think of is when Eric Holder suggest on the news that they would like to renstate the assault weapons ban. Which caused such an uproar that he backed away from it a few days later.

Good example of Obama deciding NOT to make an anti-gun proposal. Thanks.

Anyone else? Examples of Obama's administration proposing a restriction on gun rights?

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top