JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had this holster for about 1.5 years, and I figure NWF members could benefit from a review, especially in light of the IWB and holster discussions that have come up.

---------------

I carry my Kimber Pro Carry II in a Tucker Gunleather Answer, and find it comfortable. Unfortunately, I don't know anywhere you can try it on to see how it fits; you have to order online or over the phone.

My wait was long, a bit over 3 months, but I feel it was worth it. The holster uses leather on the side that faces my hip, but uses kydex on the outside to ensure the holster remains open for reholstering. The holster has changeable hooks (I'm currently using the ones Rob recommended), and the hooks are adjustable, with 3 positions each (front / rear) for for adjusting angle or height. Further, the holster has an adjustment for retaining tension, but I find that it really needs to be adjusted a bit "loose" when off because my body will press the leather toward the gun, keeping the gun more snugly retained than when the holster is off. Retention is good; I have to be nearly upside-down before it becomes a problem. Concealability is good as well; I can wear tucked or untucked. I can wear the holster all day, and am reasonably comfortable in the car (it can press on my hip a bit, which sometimes requires adjustment), but when I'm out & about, I hardly notice it. I can even wear it directly against my skin without irritation. I've had the holster for about a year and a half, and it's held up well in that time. The leather has formed to my body, but that's about it. The kydex hooks show no signs of failing, though I know they eventually will; I ordered extras for the eventuality that mine fail.

I don't think the holster is perfect. Its retention isn't positive, but rather friction only. Also, the gun will move enough inside the holster that it can knock my ambi safety off; my body presses the leather on the right side, the gun moves forward, and the safety can be knocked off. It doesn't scare me because my 1911 still has the grip safety and the most important safety -- the trigger. But I do find myself touch checking every once in a while to make sure safety is still on.

+ Comfortable
+ Very concealable
+ Adjustable

- Not a positive retention
- Wait time

Pictures:
1. Outside of holster. Yes, I'm a lefty. Bottom two screws of the kydex outside holster half adjust tension.
2. Inside of holster, showing suede side which is comfortable whether or not I'm wearing an undershirt.
3. Showing how the holster sits.
4. I don't normally wear tucked, but here is how it looks. If I pulled the shirt out just a tad so it covered the kydex clips, it wouldn't be very noticeable. Note how I didn't pull the shirt out before the pic, and my Kimber prints on my shirt.
5. Here is how I normally carry -- untucked. It's very concealable, even with this simple t-shirt.

answer_outside.jpg

answer_inside.jpg

answer_shown.jpg

answer_tucked.jpg

answer_untucked.jpg

Thanks for the review, I've always wondered about these. Have you ever tried a Milt Sparks VMII? I'm curious to know how they compare.

This is my first and only "real" holster for my 1911. I've had other holsters for other pistols, but this is substantially the only holster I've had for the Kimber. I spent weeks researching before I made the decision to go with the Tucker. I considered the VM2, but I have been under the impression that some schools require a holster a very strong opening for reholstering purposes, and I wasn't sure if the VM2 leather was strong enough for such. Looking at it again, and looking at a review on THR, I think that's a non issue; the VM2 should hold it's opening. The other difference I see is the clips versus the leather loop retention on the VM2. I like the ease of putting on / taking off my holster. The kydex clips do prevent the holster from rising unless I'm pulling out on them (gentle out & upward movement to keep it from "hooking" on the belt, and I can pull the whole holster out with my Kimber in it).

I carried the Kimber in a generic Uncle Mike's IWB nylon holster while waiting for the Answer to arrive. The two holsters are very different. The UM holster wasn't comfortable, wasn't nearly as easy to reholster. On the plus side, the UM holster had a thumb break for positive retention and had a provision for an extra magazine (though that was mostly unusable due to the way it positioned the mag sideways).

Thanks for the review, I've always wondered about these. Have you ever tried a Milt Sparks VMII? I'm curious to know how they compare.
Joey,
Hopefully my VMII for my 5" gun should be here in the next 30 days or so... I'll try to give the pro and cons compared to the Galco Royal Guard that I'm currently wearing.

Charles

I currently have two VMII's, one for my G19 and one for a 5" 1911 (I don't own one right now), and so far they're the best holsters I've used. I've been looking for someone who owns both of them so they can compare the two, but it seems that once someone gets either The Answer or the VMII they stop looking for another holster :)

FYI -- I bought a CrossBreed Supertuck for my HK45. Here are my thoughts on it:

+ Actually had a holster mold for my HK45
+ Adjustable for height and cant
+ Kydex mold holds the pistol tighter than my Answer did. Retention at the bottom stop is better due to the way the kydex is molded. As for removal, my Answer was prone to slip out if I were to lean over, such as when picking something up from the floor. The Supertuck holds the HK in. And yes, the mold is exact for my pistol, not generic, or "close".
+ Very fast shipping (3 days from order for a not-so-common pistol in left-handed configuration)
+ Metal clips, rather than kydex
+ The Supertuck is cheaper than the Answer
- I cannot seem to get as quick & sure a grip on the pistol in this holster. I think the Answer put my Kimber further out from my body. Or it could just be the design of the HK45.
- The Crossbreed doesn't have the suede backing of the Answer. The Crossbreed has 1 layer of thick leather, so I can see the rivits on the kydex. That said, in the hour or two I've worn it, I've not noticed any difference in comfort.
? I've only had the Crossbreed a short time, but the Answer held up very well for the couple years I had it. Not sure how the CB compares for long-term yet.

Overall, I have very positive opinions about both holsters. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I don't have one of these, but a friend of mine does. He had the same comment on the positive restraint by the kydex. He said that you can take a normal hair drier and hold it to the kydex for a few minutes. Once the heat gets high enough you can gently push on the kydex near the trigger guard to tighten things up...

Just a thought.

I've been carrying a sidearm for more years than I care to mention..and have tossed aside many a "high quality" holster in the process.. High dollar doesn't guarantee good performance..

That being said..I have two Crossbreed rigs..a Quick Clip..and a Supertuck..that I wear daily (not at the same time..lol).. I wouldn't trade either one of them for any of the more expensive all leather IWB's out there.. I've already discarded more than enough of those..

I have to add that Mark at Crossbreed is above and beyond in his customer service..

Hey that Supertuck looks kinda familiar :s0112:

I've owned an MTAC for 2 different pistols, and a Supertuck for 2 different pistols. IMO the Supertuck is a much better buy. I'm thinking on picking up a Comp-Tac Spartan as the Spartan is more like the Supertuck than the MTAC. I found the exposed rough leather back helps hold the holster in place. The metal clips on the Supertuck also hold the holster in place MUCH better than the plastic ones supplied by Comp-Tac.

I might just have to spend the money and try a Spartan with my new Sig 228:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top