JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to make my way across town on the bus, but I'd like to take my rifle with me so I can dial my scope at my friends house. Any of you have any experience carrying a rifle on the bus/max? Is it legal? I have my CHL but I dont think it will matter.

guitar cases are ideal.. especially in portland, nobody will even notice it. just don't let nobody challenge you to Dueling Banjos while waiting for the the bus.

I am pretty sure Tri-Met does not allow firearms on its vehicles. I am also pretty sure that is a violation of the state constitution. It's one of those things where everyone is just waiting for it to be challenged.
You can probably find out for sure on their website.
Hope I am wrong.

I actually attempted contact with the Tri-Met legal department a couple years ago about this. While I didn't get to talk with someone who would admit to actually being in that department (not surprising) the person that I spoke with on the phone said that she was repeating what she had been told by them.

Not that a CHL would be of any use for a long gun anyway, I was told by that Tri-Met rep. that all firearms were prohibited on all Tri-Met equipment, period (except for law enforcement, of course). CHL or not. This does raise an interesting point since Tri-Met has not been granted any sort of authority that would supercede the state CHL law. But, unless you are the type that wants to get involved in a crusade against Tri-Met, that isn't helping you with your concern.

One suggestion for you, if you dont need it for the work you will be doing on it, leave the bolt at home. Then if something unexpected did happen, you can say it is incomplete and incapable of being fired. :s0155:

I've done this numerous times, but not in a rifle case. I use a large duffell bag. I;ve transported alot of guns this way from the gun broker in tigard to my place in downtown portland. Never had any incidents.

One suggestion for you, if you dont need it for the work you will be doing on it, leave the bolt at home. Then if something unexpected did happen, you can say it is incomplete and incapable of being fired. :s0155:
Normally not bad advice. If you look at his initial post he said he wanted to bring it to dial in the scope. I know someone who went to the range and accidentally left his bolt at home. Doesn't work to well for sighting in, if that's what is meant by "dialing in the scope." Otherwise making the firearm "unusable" would be one way to prevent conflict. I would definitely be interested to hear what is the definite policy of Tri-Met.

http://trimet.org/pdfs/code/TriMet_Code_Chapter_28.pdf

D. Prohibited Risks to Transit System Security and Order:

(1) ---

(2) Weapons: No person, except a peace officer, shall bring or carry aboard a District Vehicle any firearm, knife (except a folding knife with a blade less than 3 ½ inches in length), or any other instrument, article, device, material or substance specifically designed for, or attempted to be used to, inflict or cause bodily harm to another, except in accordance with administrative rules as may be promulgated by the General Manager or otherwise provided by law. Where possession of such weapons cannot be prohibited by law, a person in possession of a weapon may not display or carry the weapon in a manner which is likely to result in fear or alarm by other persons or District employees.

I have on occasion seen Transit Police bring a dog on board too. Depending on the animal I would think that it might smell a firearm or parts due to powder residue etc...
I know that possibility is really out there but when your rights to own firearms could be at stake, or to avoid a lengthy and costly legal entanglement, few precautions seem too extensive.
I would drive or have a friend drive you.

Where possession of such weapons cannot be prohibited by law, a person in possession of a weapon may not display or carry the weapon in a manner which is likely to result in fear or alarm by other persons or District employees.

IANAL, but this section would seem to me to speak directly to pre-emption especially for CHL holders.

That being said, a guitar case would be a good idea for a rifle.

I brought my rifle on the max before to the expo center gun show in one of those generic cheapo plastic cases, you know the one, everyone has it. Nobody said anything. I guess the only people who would know it's a gun case are other gun owners who don't care.

Cougfan2 Where possession of such weapons cannot be prohibited by law,

At the risk of drifting slightly off topic, I agree, this does seem to refer to the CHL exemption, although if you notice the citation below, I believe this is a municipal ordinance which means it could not contravene State authority anyway, even if it did attempt to prohibit CHL carry. This is the point I was trying to make earlier, Tri-Met does not have the authority to regulate CHL use.

This would be a great issue for O.F.F. to get on. What is needed is a definitive statement from an official source verifying this, to counter the mis-information being pushed by the Tri-Met reps. on the phone. Any OFF'ers out there?

bcp From:
http://trimet.org/pdfs/code/TriMet_Code_Chapter_28.pdf

D. Prohibited Risks to Transit System Security and Order:

+1 ob1 Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but CHL and Tri-met issues are of particular interest to me.

Again, per the OP's concern, the guitar case works. I kept my shotgun in the dorm in College for three years with no one the wiser.

Wow, great posts guys. I do remember when I took my CHL class, the instructor said that it was now legal to carry on Trimet. Too bad your CHL doesnt cover long guns :)

I took an AK 47 from the gun show a year ago to the park and ride. I carry if for some reason I ride tri-met, it nobody knows its not breaking their laws. A gun in a unmarked case is not causing fear and is carried in concordance to local laws.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top