JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been hearing a lot of talk and complaints about how NWFA isn't what it used to be and that the site is becoming another Outdoors Trader. I too feel that we're getting away from the original intention of this site, the classified section was only supposed to be a 'bonus'. I figured people would be attracted by the classifieds then join in the conversation, but it seems the classifieds section has exploded while the conversation has dwindled. People have suggested people be required to have a minimum post count before posting in the classifieds, but after discussing this with other forum owners the consensus is that this just makes people post useless junk until their post count is high enough. Instead of modifying the classified section I think we need to focus on how we can encourage discussion and realign ourself with our mission statement, which can be found here: <broken link removed>

I blame myself for a large part of this, as I haven't been around as much as I used to be to guide the site and keep it in line with my original intention, goals, and mission statement. While I'm trying to be more active (life has been crazy lately) I can't do it by myself.

If any of you have any ideas, I'd really like hear them here in this thread.

I guess I'll reply. I enjoy this forum. I check it at least twice a day for different posts. I've met quite a few people on here with interests similar to mine. I've learned a lot about my rifles and yes, I have traded on the classifieds as well. I especially like the survival part just added and believe it will spark quite a few new discussions. And that is what the forum is all about: discussion, preferably in a educational, productive fashion. There are tons of good folks on this forum.

There seem to have been more than a few negative comments and rather stupid, petty arguments in the classifieds recently. But I'd like to think they are mainly from a small minority. And yep, some prices seem rather outrageous. People can remain relatively anonymous on the internet and say things they normally wouldn't say face to face. I've seen some of the comments made. Frankly, I just blow it off. If this forum is about responsible gun ownership, some folks are showing their butt, which defeats the purpose of a positive image of gun ownership.

It's our choice which direction this forum goes.

I'm enjoying this forum. I've posted a few times. I've also read & learned a lot; showing that a lot of the benefit I get from the forum may not show up in posts. I also have some stuff of my own to share, which I've done. I've also bought / sold on the classifieds section, but find a lot of the discussion more important than shopping. I'm up for posting more than I currently do. As a matter of fact, I plan on posting some research on some topics when I get a chance, and see if that's useful to other forum members.

Good job joey, I appreciate you posting this. I think there should be more NWFA shoots. However, I personally don't agree with the do-nothingness about the classifieds section. If you're not going to restrict it to post count # users, maybe charging like $.25 to post an add if you don't have 100 posts might make some users take this site more seriously. I just don't think that everyone is going to magically change and start adding into the discussion, and that classified rampancy will continue unless something is done about it. Maybe make the classifieds section available to those who donate something to the site? I know there are a number of members (myself included at times) who have used this site's classifieds, and I think having the option to donate to nwfa (like the idea a while ago about putting a "donate $XXX" after someone closes out their add) would be a win-win-win situation.

Ultimately, it's your site, just giving my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill throw in my opinion here..... I really enjoy this site. I enjoy being able to move freely from the large classified section, into the large discussion sections. I dont think there is anything wrong with the way this site is in regards to this matter, and I dont think limiting the classifieds will spur on more conversations. I think a site like this is going to evolve, and it is a good thing IMO.

Yes, when the site was smaller, Im sure there was alot more discussion, and much less classifieds. But thats because the site was smaller and new then, with alot less members who got to know eachother quickly and liked to talk. Now, those same people can have those conversations, and others can join them or start their own if they want to. But there is also a healthy classified section, where people can browse, buy, sell, and trade to go along with that.

I was drawn to this site for the classifieds. I was a member of Outdoorstrader and heard about NWFA, and wanted to see how the classifieds were. I loved it, and to me it has a good balance of areas for discussion, and areas for sales.

Its my opinion that you dont have a problem, you have a fantastic evolving website that has a little for everyone whos interested in firearm related things.

I think the only way you could get "back to where this site was", is to shut this site down and start a new one under a different name and send all the original members emails to notify them. But that new site will eventually grow if you have an open registration again, and will be the smae as NWFA.

I would let this site grow, and continue to do a great job running it.

BTW: I WILL be a paying memeber here soon, I definately owe for this great resource.

I am new to this site also but appreciate all the good info. Seems to me it is handled well with it being regulated and kept clean. The gunowner image has to be seen as at least respectable and hopefully more than that. The site will be what the members want it to be within the rules and guidelines. Seems to be going pretty well so far.....

I think this site is great. I think that some people r using the sight to make money but the other guys that love guns and the outdoors really enjoy being able to talk to people all over the northwest, and the big big for me we are able to vent about all the proplems in our country and not have some left wing son of a buck try and shut me up. Thanks Joey!

The only problem I have here is the negativity not much you can do about it . i know its rough time for shooters but bad additudes are like cancer they spread . guys calling guys stupid for asking questions IMO thats unacceptable , scalpers scalping ammo cause of hoarders hoarding ammo and now people complaining cause the classifieds are getting the most action but what i see is a lot complaints and i see a lot of pots calling the kettle black as well. sometimes i wonder if there are still obamabots stirring the pot on the gun boards like they did during the election. Now even gun owners are being divided (keep in mind United we stand Divided we WILL fall).

With some newbies all it takes is one bad experence and they are off to join the other side . Out side of complaining about gun laws and the weather i think i think we should stop slinging mud at each other after all most us are grown men and should start to act that way.

The only problem I have here is the negativity not much you can do about it . .

Actually eldbillbo, I think as far as internet forums go, this one is the best Ive ever seen for civility between members. I know that stuff happens here, but not as much as most. You have to expect a certain amount of that, considering we're a bunch of freedom loving gun nuts. But Im amazed at how civil this place usually stays.

I think we need a presence at the gunshows to recruit more members.

We should also have a NWFA shoot so members can get to know each other outside the forum.

Or a NWFA beer drinking session.

Joey added the Survival Forum also to have more cool stuff to talk about.

I totally agree coctailer, all of those(most importantly the beer drinking session!) sounds like a great idea. I was bummed I missed the meet and greet at Izzys, but thats life with a sometimes hectic schedule. Lets talk more about these ideas!

As has been said 'If it ain't broke..."
For myself I find that I can easily spend 20 minutes or so catching up on the new posts after being logged off for just a few hours. If I miss a day it's easy to spend an hour + reading the new material. I check the classifieds when I sign in and just before logging off. Its all working great for my needs... so ya get a big "Atta Boy" from this member!

I have really enjoyed this site. I am new here, but have really enjoyed the discussions. I have had the opportunity to ask questions and even answer a few. I admit that I look at the classifieds quite a bit, but the discussions have been interesting and (refreshingly) civil.

I'm a member of other sites and i don't post much here but read up on discussions and such but i do feel as if not everyone here has met each other in person. It would sound like a meet and greet and possibly an NWFA shoot would help solidify the community more. just a thought.

I think we need a presence at the gunshows to recruit more members.

We should also have a NWFA shoot so members can get to know each other outside the forum.

Or a NWFA beer drinking session.

Joey added the Survival Forum also to have more cool stuff to talk about.

But lets make sure we don't combine idea 2 and 3 at the same time :)

I'm all for having a presence at more gun shows. I'm willing to donate time and resources to accomplish this.

I've only been a member since April... before that I lurked off and on... I personally haven't seen that big of an issue (or maybe I am the issue :s0114: :s0131: :confused:)

Like someone mentioned earlier, it is a rough time for shooters. We are under attack by our Federal and State government and the media. Other shooters leave trash in the wilderness making all of us look bad. Ammo is tough to find. AR15 parts are still a little scarce at decent prices. We had a long, hard winter... our spring/summer has been a bit wet. Our Government is finding new ways to tax us while overspending by leaps and bounds. Our unemployment rate in the region is super high. We are on the brink of a financial meltdown, North Korea is waving their sword around (even if it is dull) and the situation in Iran is unstable.

There isn't a lot of stuff out there that is really positive... or at least not a lot that other people would be interested reading. I mean, I could write about how my trip to work this morning was nice because I didn't hit any red lights... but that is just a waste of forum space...

So going to the mission that Joey linked to:

NorthwestFirearms.com was founded with three goals in mind, which comprise our mission statement:

1. Provide a family friendly online community for firearm enthusiasts of the Northwest to meet other enthusiasts, discuss various topics, share news, buy, sell, & trade, organize events, and much more.

Check.

2. Provide a resource for firearm owners to organize themselves for the purpose of protecting the second amendment and our firearm rights, as well as defeating gun-control legislation and anti-gun candidates.

We fall down a bit here... but it is a good goal...

3. Spread the message of safe firearm use and ownership, while promoting self defense, shooting sports, hunting, and collecting.

Check. I've seen many, many, many threads about holsters, ammo, what type of gun to carry, trap/skeet shooting, contests, hunting, etc, etc, etc.

Are there a lot of WTS/WTT/WTB threads? Sure. Nothing wrong with that. You don't have to click and read every thread! Do some people price gouge? Sure... ignore them and if nobody buys their stuff they will have to lower the price one day....

I used to be a member of a photography forum that implemented the 30 day member + 30 posts to sell something rule... it helped a bit but people never read the rules and would always ask why they couldn't post a topic... umm, read the STICKY!!!

My $0.02 -- adjust for inflation.

I've only been a member since April... before that I lurked off and on... I personally haven't seen that big of an issue (or maybe I am the issue :s0114: :s0131: :confused:)

Like someone mentioned earlier, it is a rough time for shooters. We are under attack by our Federal and State government and the media. Other shooters leave trash in the wilderness making all of us look bad. Ammo is tough to find. AR15 parts are still a little scarce at decent prices. We had a long, hard winter... our spring/summer has been a bit wet. Our Government is finding new ways to tax us while overspending by leaps and bounds. Our unemployment rate in the region is super high. We are on the brink of a financial meltdown, North Korea is waving their sword around (even if it is dull) and the situation in Iran is unstable.

There isn't a lot of stuff out there that is really positive... or at least not a lot that other people would be interested reading. I mean, I could write about how my trip to work this morning was nice because I didn't hit any red lights... but that is just a waste of forum space...

So going to the mission that Joey linked to:

Check.

We fall down a bit here... but it is a good goal...

Check. I've seen many, many, many threads about holsters, ammo, what type of gun to carry, trap/skeet shooting, contests, hunting, etc, etc, etc.

Are there a lot of WTS/WTT/WTB threads? Sure. Nothing wrong with that. You don't have to click and read every thread! Do some people price gouge? Sure... ignore them and if nobody buys their stuff they will have to lower the price one day....

I used to be a member of a photography forum that implemented the 30 day member + 30 posts to sell something rule... it helped a bit but people never read the rules and would always ask why they couldn't post a topic... umm, read the STICKY!!!

My $0.02 -- adjust for inflation.

Very well said. and on the nose:s0155:

I originally came here for the classifieds but since then i have gathered and shared information

I think there would be more discussion if people knew each other a bit better. I agree that an NWFA shoot is in need and a Meet and Greet that more than 9(?) people show up to. Also, I think having the chat helps. When the site first opened, I avoided conversation because I didn't know what kind of response I'd get. After talking in chat with you, Nick, and Weebs mostly, I realized how receptive this site is. If people felt like they "knew" each other (or even knew a few select people) a bit better, they'd be more likely to be open.
I don't particularly like walking up to strangers at a gun show and start yammering away about guns, even if I know they like them too.:p

But like Joe said, we got your back. :s0155::D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads